Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

Life changing and Very well structured program

I stayed there 3 months as an intern and it changed my perception of the marine world and what is possible to achieve with a professional and united team. It's also a great way to improve his/her diving skill while doing something meaningful. I can just recommend to anyone to take part in this experience.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Best time I've ever had

I was fortunate enough to be able to spent two internships for my studies with the New Heaven Reef Conservation Program. In total I spend about 12 months with them. It were the best couple of months I've ever spent somewhere. From the instructors, fellow interns to the volunteers, everyone was so open and hospitable. Leaving home and recieving a family abroad was one of the most amazing things I've experienced! Above that, the conservation activities are amazing to take part in. You will learn tons about environmental issues, conservation techniques, biology, ecology and diving techniques. Lectures will be given in order to inform all the participants of the acitivities that day, both from an ecological and practical point of view. You don't need experience or a degree to partake in the program, as the lectures will inform you of everything. For students looking for an internship for their studies I can highly recommend the NHRCP, as doing a research project here is amazing to undertake. You can come forward with ideas for you own project and if the project would fit within the capabilities of the program you will have an awesome time! The best part for me was being given a passion for the rest of my life!, which I truly have to thank the New Heaven Reef Conservation Program for!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Giving Turtles a Fighting Chance

I came to the New Heaven Reef Conservation Program back in 2014 with no prior knowledge of their Seaturtle Nursery Program. I was incredibly impressed with the success that they had had with their turtles in the past, and the ones that I took care of in my time at the program were no exception. The tank system they've set up keeps the water flowing through the seaturtles' habitats clean and cool. If it weren't for programs like these only 1 in every 1000 baby seaturtles would make it to adulthood. By raising the turtles in a safe environment, we're giving these increasingly scarce species a chance at surviving on this planet. And the Seaturtle Nursery is only one part of the amazing work being done at the New Heaven Reef Conservation Program! I highly recommend that any budding marine biologists looking for field experience check this place out!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Definitely stop by if you are on Koh Tao

I had the privilage to care for the turtles over several months. To see the progress of the turtles is amazing, especially when releasing the turtles you have seen growing and growing over several months. When visitors come by to check on the turtles and ask questions about them was always a nice opportunity to make people aware of the problems facing these turtles. While snorkeling or diving around Koh Tao, you have the opportunity to see sea turtles. However, if you are out of luck and did not see one in the ocean, you have a 100% chance to see turtles at New Heaven Reef Conservation Program, so definitely stop by if you are visiting Koh Tao. You might even be lucky enough to join on a release!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Go there and you'll never leave !

I stayed for a 3 months internship at NHRCP. As part of my engineering cursus I went there to study exotic marine biology and immerse myself in the Thai culture. I found what I was looking for but also way more ! As an intern I felt really involved in the program life, could have a great overall understanding of Ko Tao's marine ecosystem. The team helps you to feel involved in your daily work and after a few weeks you'll turn into a real eco-diver ! Moreover the people I met there considerably improved my experience on Tao. Amazing program and amazing people, looking forward my next stay !!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Amazing :)

Amazing program with amazing people! One of the greatest experience in my life. I highly recommend this program to people who want to act to protect our oceans and meet people with same interests. The more you stay the more you'll like it, so just try!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Incredible experience

I spent a month on the dive schools marine conservation program. I had an awesome time, learnt a lot, and saw some amazing things. the team there is great and I will definatley be going back.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

I'd return over and over and over again!

NHRCP is the best. I've returned 3 times now and fell in love with the place even more each time. You've got a stellar conservation programme run by amazing individuals, with Chad Scott at the helm and you also have motivated and passionate groups of individuals from all walks of life coming to this place. You work together. You play together. I mean, what more could you ask for? It's my second home.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

The best conservation program around

This program has been amazing so far, I joined as a conservation intern in January and I dont have anything bad to say whatsoever. Chad, the conservation program leader, has been working in this field for many years and it shows through his passion for the environment and for his students. If you dont understand one of the many concepts covered in the short two week program, or any of the other concepts covered over the longer programs any of the staff and interns are happy to clarify and practice with you. The diving in the area is amazing, most of the time the water is calm and the vis is great, but the most amazing aspect is the increasing amount of artificial dive sites. The program is based in Chalok which boasts the programs strongest artificial reef, often unrecognizable as being bottle nurseries due to the strong coral growth. If you have a passion for the environment, conservation, or scuba diving this program will be perfect for you.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

best decision I have ever made

after graduating and knowing I needed experience I turned to NHRCP and it was by far the best decision I ever made. I have learnt more in the few months I have been here than most of my degree. Everything from the lectures to the hands on experience has helped me learn and expand my knowledge. Working alongside incredible staff, fellow interns and volunteers has enabled me to learn not only through the progran but through each person I have met. It has so far been an incredible experience and I cant wait to spend the rest of my time here learning so much more from my NHRCP family. I would encourage anyone to come and try this program no matter if its only a few days, you will learn so much and be amazed by the passion that drives this conservation program and will be swept away with helping in anyway you can. Keep up the good work guys
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

This program has opened my eyes to a world that is nothing short of breathtaking.

The New Heaven Reef Conservation Program has been one of the best experiences I've ever had volunteering abroad, of which I have done plenty. I spent the month on Koh Tao and ended up staying for another 4 after that, only after a bout of Dengue forced me off the island kicking and screaming. The Dengue was definitely worth it. This program finds a great balance between conservation and science, blending the two together in a way I had never seen done before. Being part of a team of conservationists and diving keeps everyday new and exciting. I spent my time in a variety of ways while I was there, some of which were feeding sea turtles from their head-starting program, observing a coral spawning event, building an underwater artificial reef, and conducting scientific data collection while diving. The island itself is a tropical paradise and the reefs are breathtaking here. The island attracts tourists from all over so it has become quite well developed, offering a variety of nice restaurants and bars that make the island seem a lot bigger than it is. And all of this tourism and development makes the work being done through the program all the more relevant and necessary. I'd highly recommend this program to anyone and suggest you book your ticket to Thailand one way so you save on money when you inevitably end up cancelling your flight back home.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A life changing experience

Best experience ever, learned much more during a month in there than a year in uni. You feel so useful, everything we did had sense, I felt I was doing a change. Also, diving everyday with the same people, it really makes you feel you are part of a team, where everyone have the same goals any interests. And the location couldn't be better, Koh Tao is a paradise island, with great diving, beautiful beaches and nice forest to go hiking.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Amazing time!

Having finished a degree in Marine Biology earlier this year, I started this program to get a hands-on experience on research and conservation techniques used in the field. The good surprise was that i got a lot more than what i was hoping for, learning new things every day with the scientists and conservation instructors involved on the program. My only problem is that i don't want to leave. The wide array of topics discussed, tasks performed, dive experiences and the awesome people you meet on the way makes want to recommend this program to anyone that's even slightly interested in the ocean world!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Life Changing Experience

This program lead to my eventual career in the field, so, in every way, it was a life changing experience for me and others like me during my internship!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us ยป

Subscribe to the Newsletter