Volunteering in Orphanages in Tanzania
Tanzania and all the sub-Saharan African countries are badly affected by the epidemics of poverty and HIV/AIDS. The number of orphans and street children is growing. Efforts have been made by various local organizations to protect these children by offering much-needed education as well as skill-development training. Thousands of orphaned children who suffer from extreme poverty, HIV/AIDS and hopelessness leave their villages and travel to Dar es Salaam, Arusha, Moshi and other cities, where they most often end up worse off on the street. Most orphanages in Tanzania lack resources and are under-staffed. Some are extremely poor, and struggle just to feed the children. Not all of the children can attend school, as they lack sponsors to pay for uniforms, books and so on. Other orphanages are more fortunate and even have their own school close to their premises. All of them, however, rely on volunteer workers and donations of all kinds in order to be able to run the orphanage and maintain an everyday, secure environment for the children.
HighlightsSome orphanages are in rural areas and volunteers will have to take one of the local minibuses (called “Dala Dala”) to get there, a cheap way of transportation. there, a cheap way of transportation. You can buy a weekly pass for a "dala dala" minibus. Cost approx. $ 5.
QualificationsVolunteer tasks usually are:
• In the morning help with breakfast and prepare the children for school. Volunteers accompany the children to and from school.
• Teach English 3-4 hours a day in the local school
• Small children (ages 2-6 years) remain in their orphanages. Volunteers who choose not to teach in schools play with these children: sport, art, games, picture books, music. You are welcome to suggest all sorts of activities.
• Organize activities when the children return from school and help with homework.
• Skill-training and leisure activities for the children, who are too old to go to school.
• After dinner help the children wash, brush teeth and take care of themselves.
Volunteer TypesCommunity development
What`s Included- Airport pick-up (not for boarding school).
- Room and board during entire stay.
- Assistance from a local coordinator.
- Introduction days (Except at the boarding school)
Not included in the fee:
- Any personal expenses, soft drinks, bottled water. Any entrance fee during sightseeing and traveling. Airfare.
- Visa and registration fee.
- Turist visa fee and C-Permit fee, 120 USD. (Except at the boarding school).
Other Programs From The Same Provider
Health and Safety
Provider:The Global Adventure Safaris ltd
- Tanzania: Arusha
Terms:Throughout the year
Program Duration:2-4 weeks
Cost:2 weeks - $400 3 weeks - $450 4 weeks - $500