Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

Greatly Improved my Spanish, Met a lot of Super Cool People

I came down to Costa Rica to once and for all learn the Spanish language. I had been struggling to learn it in the States for so much time, I decided to find a program, take some time off work, and give it a try. I went with Tico Lingo because of they are much less expensive when compared to the other schools in the country and because their Program Director did an phenomenal job filling me in on the details, answering any and every questions I had, and putting together a program perfect for what I needed. Immediately, I was impressed with the school. It was absolutely beautiful and was centrally located in a really non-touristy area. Many people said that in Costa Rica everyone basically speaks English. This is absolutely not the case in Heredia (where the school is located). I got the chance to practice the language with so many different friendly people in the streets and local markets. Very, very cool. I stayed with a family near the school (less than a ten minute walk) and got to practice with them at the house every morning and evening. The food or room wasn't life changing, but the expereince on a whole definitely helped me learn the language quickly. They took me out dancing a few nights and connected me with a few musicians in the area who we're playing small concerts in the city. The classes were super professional, the material was all custom, and the teachers were very emotionally involved with the learning process. I got the sense that they really cared about how my Spanish was going. I made alot of friends at the school and overall had a really great expereince. Highly recommended.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

The fastest way to learn Spanish. Period. And a rich cultural experience to boot.

I came to this program with little to no Spanish language skills. I studied French in school and could barely manage an 'hola.' After one month in this program I can speak and understand conversational Spanish with ease -- something I could never imagine doing before I came here. Learning a foreign language in a U.S. classroom is a far cry from an immersion experience. I was inspired to learn by my patient and competent teacher, Freddy, and by my wonderful, loving and gracious home stay family. The Heredia community also provided innumerable opportunities for me to practice my burgeoning Spanish language skills and a cultural experience far different than what I was used to back home in Chicago. I was surrounded by native speakers at every turn. I honestly cannot imagine picking up Spanish any faster than I did in this program. Plus, weekend trips to the beach were easy and incredibly fun. I met so many friendly, open and welcoming people here -- I can't wait to come back. If you're serious about learning Spanish as fast as humanly possible, Tico Lingo is your best bet.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us ยป

Subscribe to the Newsletter