Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

Perfect to pad your gap year resume but not much else.

MRCI is a great way to pad your resume for your gap year! You can live in a nice camp on a tropical island with very little exposure to the risks or realities of Africa and say you volunteered in Madagascar. I saw no evidence that any of the "research" was going anywhere useful, but you will learn some useful skills while training to help collect said data. I recommend the Marine program for people that would like to become certified divers. They have a decent house reef and equipment and the price point is pretty similar to other PADI dive centers. For what it is, MRCI does a fine job. The facilities are nice, the food is edible and if you have no expectations of your money doing anything for anyone other than paying for a nice beach holiday then it's perfect. You also have to put up with being treated like a kid at summer camp so I would say it's best if you're 18-25 on a gap year paid by your parents. If you actually want to volunteer somewhere to do some good, then this may not be for you.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Teaching with MRCI

I worked on the Community development program for 2 weeks in February, and had the chance to do some English teaching in the schools on Nosy Komba and Nosy Be. The best thing about my time teaching was how appreciative the kids and teachers are of you teaching, and the chance to work with students of all ages. You don't need any prior experience teaching, a good understanding of English is the most important asset, and the local staff you work with are always there to help out. I will never forget the experience I had teaching in Madagascar, and I look forward to doing it again very soon.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Program: Teaching Program 0
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us ยป

Subscribe to the Newsletter