Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

Do it!

I'm an environmental studies student so I attended classes at the College of Natural Resources in Punakha. I took classes on soil, ecology, sustainable development, and gross national happiness. I found the classes to be a different style than I was familiar with which was a bit difficult but this was too another learning opportunity for me! The Naropa program classes complement CNR classes well as they provide the students with skills to navigate cross-cultural interactions and to conduct academic research projects. Outside of academia, the student life at CNR is a lot of fun! It is what you make it as there are social outings, lots of opportunities for meals with friends, hiking trails right outside your door, and many temples to visit nearby. The town is small in size and rich in local foods at the market. The student housing can be a challenge as the facilities (such as water and wi-fi) are not always working like we are familiar with in the U.S. However, I found that adapting was a huge skill to be applied and that the value of living in community with the Bhutanese was well worth a cold shower and a low wi-fi signal. There is a lot to say about this program! I grew so much while in Bhutan and want to encourage anyone considering the program to do it! I thought at one point that the cost of the program made it inaccessible for me but because of scholarships was able to go! If you are also doubting your financial ability to attend the program- don't do so without seeking financial support first from your home university and from the Gilman International Scholarship. Here is the link: https://gilmanapplication.iie.org/
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

journey of a lifetime

Deciding to study abroad in Bhutan was one of the best decisions I may have ever made. I miss it every day and had the most incredible experience thanks to the amazing community and family I was welcomed into with open arms, the support and guidance of Naropa's Anne Parker, the beautiful Himalayas, cultural richness, and time. I could go on for a long time about the amazing journey that was this trip, the ups and downs, and the growth within myself I didn't know possible. I learned so much and by the end of the immersion, didn't want to leave. It was a challenging program, I would be lying if I said every day was magical and easy with many moments of culture shock, homesickness, and other emotions that come along with diving into something unknown, but the challenges are part of what made it so worthwhile in the end. And along with the challenges came many moments of amazement, excitement, and absolute love for everything Bhutan. I highly recommend this program for anyone interested, it's so unique and so incredibly amazing.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A Gift!

If you are looking for an extremely unique opportunity to grow, this is it. Subtle hints of the British school system, patriarchy and sexism, and still the Bhutanese will somehow find a way to steal your heart. The internet is slow, when it works. The water sometimes goes off for days at a time, and there is never any hot water. I only saw a few televisions the entire trip. There was a nunnery above my hostile that made for a beautiful morning hike. The weather was warm on my campus and the students were incredibly welcoming. Studying GNH within the country gave me the ability to see both the benefits and the flaws to this wonderful concept. Coming from a first world country, the challenges of a third world country opened my eyes to my immense privilege. This journey shook me to my core and warmed my heart. Being surrounded by Buddhism pointed out the holes in my belief system and challenged me to fill them. I couldn't have done this without the tremendous support of the Naropa community and the wonderful Bhutanese friends I made.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us ยป

Subscribe to the Newsletter