Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

The Experience of a Lifetime

As the only student from my university to accept a summer position with Iracambi, I was originally nervous about what to expect. However, after my first contact with Carla, all of my nervousness was erased. At Iracambi, I was met by a supportive and interesting staff and volunteer cohort that not only worked tirelessly to make me feel at home, but helped me discover my passions and a project that related to them. From visiting local coffee plantations to leaning about agroforests and sustainable farming to teaching English courses at the local school, I was given ample opportunities to learn and challenge myself intellectually. While Iracambi allows their volunteers to learn through real world experience, knowledge of the environment is only a small portion of what you will leave with. Minas Gerais hosts one of the richest cultures within Brazil and Iracambi works tirelessly to ensure that their volunteers have the opportunity to experience it. From indescribable comida mineira provided by Iracambi's world class chef, Larissa to the baked goods sold across the street by Carminha, you will leave Iracambi with "saudades" of the food. In addition, Deivid, a professional tour guide and coordinator of Iracambi's nursery, provides all volunteers with invaluable tips and recommendations for weekend excursions across Minas Gerais, Espiritio Santo, and Rio de Janeiro. However, you do not have to travel far to have an excursion. Countless trails, waterfalls, mountains, and attractions are located on or in close proximity to Iracambi's state-of-the-art campus. Among all of my experiences at Iracambi, the most important to me are the relationships and friendships that I had made. All volunteers and staff members at Iracambi come from different backgrounds, but all are united by a common theme, a passion for the rainforest. There, you will encounter the some of the most passionate, intelligent, and interesting people in the world which, without-a-doubt, lead to future successes and change lives. Overall, my time at Iracambi provided me with an invaluable, intellectually challenging, and meaningful experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Program: Volunteer Program 0

As the only student from my university to accept a summer position with Iracambi, I was originally nervous about what to expect. However, after my first contact with Carla, all of my nervousness was erased. At Iracambi, I was met by a supportive and interesting staff and volunteer cohort that not only worked tirelessly to make me feel at home, but helped me discover my passions and a project that related to them. From visiting local coffee plantations to leaning about agroforests and sustainable farming to teaching English courses at the local school, I was given ample opportunities to learn and challenge myself intellectually. While Iracambi allows their volunteers to learn through real world experience, knowledge of the environment is only a small portion of what you will leave with. Minas Gerais hosts one of the richest cultures within Brazil and Iracambi works tirelessly to ensure that their volunteers have the opportunity to experience it. From indescribable comida mineira provided by Iracambi's world class chef, Larissa to the baked goods sold across the street by Carminha, you will leave Iracambi with "saudades" of the food. In addition, Deivid, a professional tour guide and coordinator of Iracambi's nursery, provides all volunteers with invaluable tips and recommendations for weekend excursions across Minas Gerais, Espiritio Santo, and Rio de Janeiro. However, you do not have to travel far to have an excursion. Countless trails, waterfalls, mountains, and attractions are located on or in close proximity to Iracambi's state-of-the-art campus. Among all of my experiences at Iracambi, the most important to me are the relationships and friendships that I had made. All volunteers and staff members at Iracambi come from different backgrounds, but all are united by a common theme, a passion for the rainforest. There, you will encounter the some of the most passionate, intelligent, and interesting people in the world which, without-a-doubt, lead to future successes and change lives. Overall, my time at Iracambi provided me with an invaluable, intellectually challenging, and meaningful experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Tree Planting & Reforestation

Feedback Tree Planting & Reforestation at Iracambi/Minas Gerais/Brazil I stayed 4 weeks there and felt very welcome from the first moment. At my time there were only few volunteers so I could live alone in my little house which was simple but clean and practicable. Everything was really relaxed and the volunteer-coordinater asked me about my interests and made proposals of what was need to be done. Always I had the choice what to do or could make my own plans. Unfortunately at that time the planting season was more or less over. I only worked around three times with planting seedlings. This was not easy work in the sun but it was very nice to get in touch with the local people and gave me satisfaction. It was always possible to do private things. The communication was very nice. English was no problem and I could improve my portuguese skills. The surrounding was very nice. special thanx to Robin and Binca, the founders of Iracambi. They were so nice and warmheartly, I felt very familiar. I met a lot of the friends of Iracambi and they were so nice as well as the stuff I had the pleasure to work with. Food was served three times a day and I was satisfied. I really liked the brazilian food. I prefered vegetarian food and there were a lot. Supply with fresh things like fruits could be improved. I can strongly recomend this organisation, 4 weeks weren't enough for me. I would liked to stay there 8 or 12 weeks to put more effort in it. I was really sad to leave. My experiences during my voluntary stay are very positiv. Five points! Thank you all the people there!!! Abraços...Axel
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Program: Volunteer Program 0
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us »

Subscribe to the Newsletter