Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

NGO Management and Mama Elba Review

During my placement in Samana, I took part in two different projects; NGO Management and Mama Elba. I really enjoyed working in both of them, and I think these two projects combined together are the best way to understand and experience the core of the Foundation. The NGO Management project gave me a better idea about how an NGO works, what the main challenges of this kind of environment are and how to deal with daily issues regarding not only the Founding itself, but the local community as well. The other project I was working at, Mama Elba, was definitely enriching from both a personal and professional point of view. The children and young adults attending Mama Elba are absolutely lovely, and, while my hope was to help them somehow, what I received from them was way more. I also had the chance to learn different approaches to education, special educational programs and tools, and the interaction with the students and their families allowed me to learn a lot about the Dominican society and culture. I really enjoyed living in Samana and I would definitely recommend it. I loved the relaxed and friendly vibe, the kindness of local people and of course the stunning nature. I would recommend this placement to whoever wants to learn more and get engaged in the local community, it is a great way to acquire new knowledge about another culture, different teaching techniques and the basics on how an NGO works.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

I wish I could have stayed longer it was a great experience

I joined “Aldeas de paz” for two weeks and it was a great experience! I wish I could have stayed longer because two weeks was barely enough to get a deep insight in the work of the foundation. On the other hand, I felt welcomed from the first day on. I made friends with the other volunteers immediately and we always planned freetime activities together so it never got boring. In the Mama Elba I felt beloved by the students there from the start on and the work with them was a pleasure for me. They were all so open minded and we had such a good connection that it was so much fun to work or play with them. In the evenings I sometimes helped other volunteers with their English and German courses, which was a great experience as well, because the courses were full of ambitious people who made determined efforts to learn the language, so that it was really fun to teach them. The two weeks work with “Aldeas de paz” helped me with my insecurities about what to study, so it wasn’t just fun but useful for my further life as well. Just like I said before, I wish I could have stayed longer so that I maybe could have started my own courses or work in other projects as well, because the opportunities are definitely given and you’re absolutely free to bring your own ideas. I can totally recommend the organisation and I am very thankful for the time I had there.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

I have gained so much experience!

Being in the Dominican Republic and being able to intern at the local clinic has been a blessing for me. In so little time I've gained so much experience and knowledge professionally and personally. My life has changed tremendously and I leave the Dominican Republic with kind regards and special thanks to Aldeas to Paz.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A unique experience

To all future volunteers around the world: After 15 months spending with Aldeas de Paz, my stay comes to an end.So it's an occasion for sharing my experience, point of view and recommendation. My place abroad was Las Terrenas on the peninsula Samaná in the Dominican Republic. I worked mainly in the cities public hospital. It' been a long time. 1 year and 3 months is an extensive period spend abroad for a volunteer service, but for all that everyday was worthwhile. Conception of time in the Dominican Republic is different to the ones a foreign person is used to. Schedules do not work out flawlessly nor appointments will always take place at the exact planned day and hour. Gradually the progress is made. Hence you, as a future volunteer should have in mind: the longer the stay the better! You can not rapid start work in the Dominican Republic from day one on, neither will you see a terrific change and colossal impact during your stay. This can be arduous to an arriving volunteer filled with creative urges, ideas, motivation and expectations. During your stay you will face challenges. Nevertheless you will grow with each and learn about yourself and others. By and by you will master a new language, meet various people from around the world, exchange and put things into perspective and experience. Which I had the great opportunity to. Likewise myself, the organisation was growing and still is. Aldeas de Paz is a sprouting and forthcoming NGO. I am more than thankful for the opportunity of being a part of this Fundacion. It is a chance of expansion of your own horizon - and for both sides for though the dissimilar living environments and - maxims plus savoir - vivre can fertilise one another. Exceptional thanks to Vito, Coordinator of Las Terrenas, more of a friend, for always being amiable, available and keen.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

The experiences I made really had an impact on my life!

During the 6 weeks I spent with Aldeas de Paz in Las Terrenas I have learned a lot. At first, I was a little disappointed because it was really different to what I expected. But after a while I realised that my expectations simply weren’t realistic. The foundation has only been in the Dominican Republic for three years which really isn’t a long time. That means there is still lots of work to do and room for improvement. But that’s not a bad thing it simply means you have the possibility to help shaping the foundation. My work in the NGO management team taught me a lot about all the little but important things that need to be done to keep the Foundations growing. Like searching for foundations or universities willing to support our cause. Looking back, the experiences I made really had an impact on my life and assured me that working for an NGO really is important and something everyone should do at least once in their life.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Unforgettable Adventure

During my time in Santa Barbara de Samaná, I worked as a hospital volunteer, school volunteer at Mama Elba, as well as initiated my own project at the school Mama Elba. Although it was a short 5 weeks, I learned so much during my stay. Along with really experiencing the difference of healthcare that is found in Dominican Republic, as well as for the first time experiencing what it is like to teach, I learned a lot about myself and the culture of the Dominican Republic. Aldeas de Paz, more specifically Sebastian, did an amazing job making sure my trip went as smoothly as possible from the time before arrival all the way until the end. I really appreciated his support with everything and admired how hard he worked trying to make sure the foundation was running smoothly for all volunteers involved. My time in the Dominican Republic, is truly indescribable. The food, the people, the music and the tranquility of the town really causes you to fall in love with the country. Creating the special connections I did with some of the hospital staff, my host family, and the students of the school really tied me to Samaná and has made my Dominican adventure unforgettable. The town is easy to grow accustomed to and to really meet and enjoy the company of the community members and local population. I would recommend either hospital placement or school placement because not only will you learn a lot about Dominican life, but the students and patients you see will teach you lessons in life and patience that no other job or university class will. Thank you so much Aldeas de Paz for an amazing time in Samaná, but I can assure you that I will be coming back soon.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

It is an enrichment not only for your working experience but also for your personality

I‘ve been in the Dominican Republic for 2 months and worked in NGO management. It has been the best experience of my life and I can only advise you to do such an internship or volunteer work abroad. It is an enrichment not only for your working experience but also for your personality. Additionally you come to know a lot of people from different countries and in order to this, gain some language skills, especially in Spanish. I lived in a really nice apartment in Las Terrenas and went on some awesome trips on the weekends as they most of the time are for free. The organization is always there for you if you have questions and helped me with the transportation from the airport and back. Sometimes there are some communication problems between Samaná and Las Terrenas but I guess it’s totally normal as the organization is still improving. However I also saw a lot of progress and new ideas, but that’s why the organization also depends on the volunteers as they can bring a lot of experience from other countries and different schools, universities or companies. Thanks especially to Vito who works really hard to further improve the organization and is always there if you need something. Everyone was just so nice and I am so thankful for this special time. I will remember it para siempre :)
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A time you will never forget

The time with Aldeas De Paz is one of the experiences you will never forget. You get to know the country in a totally different way than just doing a holiday. And you are working on something, that makes a difference to other people's lives. The good thing about Aldeas De Paz is, that you really have a lot of different opportunities to volunteer and work on projects you like. Wether you want to work with kids, animals, the ocean, or experience the work place in a local hospital. Even if you choose one specific project, you have the chance to get to know other projects and places as well. I worked for one year in the NGO program in Las Terrenas and was one of the first volunteers in this location. ADP in Las Terrenas is still developing its work and things take time in the country. So to volunteer here, you have to realize that you won´t find a lot of standard processes and typical everyday’s work, for now. But that also means that you will have a lot of opportunities to bring in your ideas or develop your own projects. The Foundation is still small and you get to know each other very fast. And that´s where it comes to the other fun part: the weekends. Here you have really a lot of options to spend them. Beside of visiting some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, you have enough opportunities to have a very good time after work. You can do boat trips to islands, mangroves or whale watching, or you rent a quad and visit the peninsula or even the whole country with the local Guaguas. But even if you want to stay in town you can spend the time, like most of the dominicans, drinking beer, ron or having a dinner at a comedor or a restaurant if you want. When it comes to this, you have to decide in which location you want to volunteer, both are very different. The main things in Las Terrenas, where I was located, are the many beautiful beaches and the good restaurants you have here. You can take a walk on the beach in the morning or at lunch and go to an italian restaurant in the evening. But also if you volunteer in Samaná, you can visit on the weekends or meet the other volunteers. Anyway you will have enough opportunities in both locations to meet each other sometimes. The biggest benefit in Samaná is the interaction with the dominicans. Because Las Terrenas has a lot of europeans and americans, you are more treated like a tourist. In Samaná you will experience more the typical dominican life and be in touch with the locals. Both Locations have its benefits, but it is for sure, that you will enjoy your stay. The coordinators do their best that you can enjoy your trip, while working on multiple projects to keep the foundations work growing. Especially with the Mamá Elba School in Samaná and its different side projects, ADP and all the volunteers and employees, really do a difference to the local community. The country is very beautiful but there are a lot of things to work on, and the whole foundation is doing its best to help and to the most as they can. In total, volunteering at Aldeas De Paz will be an experience nobody will never forget.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A great long-term voluntary service within the scope of the Medicine & Healthcare project

I had the chance to work in the public hospital ”Dr. Leopoldo Pou“ in Santa Barbara de Samaná for one year. Sent by the German Red Cross I helped out in different areas of the hospital where they needed help. That gave me a great opportunity to see how the medical system works in the Dominican Republic. I helped out for six months in the laboratory doing administrative work and helping improve procedures and the workflow. Then I had the chance to help for a few months with the digitalization of the patients' records at the HIV Station, to assist and observe a pediatrician and to assist the doctors and nurses in the Emergency Room. While the services of the doctors and surgeons from the United States took part three times while I was here, act as a translater for them and assist in surgery. That was a great opportunity and one of the highlights of my voluntary service. There were not just surgical services for humans but also for animals where I could participate in several times by assisting in the recovery station after the animals came out of surgery. Beside my work in the public hospital (mostly in the morning), I gave first aid classes to tourist guides, members of the Dominican Red Cross, disabled children, vounteers and teachers in the Mamá Elba School. I also gave a computer class once a week and English classes twice a week to the community. Regarding the organization itself, I really liked how our coordinator Sebastian supported us with everything. He was always there for us and motivated and willing to help. I really had a great year here with Aldeas de Paz! I learned a lot of things, not just of medical nature. I would say that this year in the Dominican Republic helped me become more open-minded, more mature, able to integrate myself in another culture and able to live without having access to everything I am used to. It was a great enrichment for my personality. That is why I can warmly recommend doing a long-term voluntary service at Aldeas de Paz in the Dominican Republic.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A year full of valuable experiences

During my time at Aldeas de Paz I worked in the school, participated in medical missions and gave German classes. All the experience together and the whole year was a highlight for me and I liked about the organisation that it was never static, there were always new people coming and the group was always changing. The Dominican Republic is a very special country with a strong culture. It is very different to Germany or to Europe and it gives you definitely another point of view on many things. Finally I can say that I would totally recommend this placement! Even though working in the school mostly is really hard and takes a lot of energy and patience, the kids give you so much love back. For me, it was the best decision to work at the school!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Amazing year in the ADP multimedia project

For the past year, I worked in the multimedia team for Aldeas de Paz in Samaná. I had such a great time living and working with the ADP family! During this year, we had the chance to participate in different projects, cooperate with other NGOs and supported the community in Samaná. My highlight during the time here was interviewing the locals. For example, we collaborated with the organization ISER Caribe. Our goal was to use interviews to promote awareness, understanding and sensitivity with regards to the endangered fish: The Parrot Fish. It was an amazing way to connect with the local community and work together for a greater cause. Additionally, it was very interesting to see and be a part of Aldeas de Paz’s transformation throughout the year. Particularly, the way the organisation has flourished, the development of new projects we initiated and developed and how we as volunteers became more involved and in touch with the locals. I also appreciated meeting the international volunteers that joined Aldeas de Paz throughout the year. Everyone brought their own unique ideas, perspectives and culture to work here which helped to enrich the group dynamics and togetherness. Sometimes the communication between the branch office in Samaná and Las Terrenas didn’t work very well making it challenging to distribute tasks. But I think it's normal for a growing organization to have difficulties as well. With that said, outside of working hours, we were able to enjoy our free time here in the Caribbean! During the weekends we visited some of the most beautiful beaches, mountains and we visited different cities. We were therefore able to see and embrace most of the country throughout our year here! I am very grateful for the experience that I have gathered here and I can recommend this a volunteering experience to everyone!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Having the opportunity to stay in a foreign country for such a long time was great luck for me

I spent nearly 12 months in Samaná working in the medicine and healthcare program. Because I stayed here such a long time I got to experience various workplaces. At first I helped at the HIV station of the local public hospital “Dr. Leopoldo Pou” and I gained an insight of how HIV treatment is organized. In the afternoons I started to accompany a dentist in the beginning in the local hospital and later in a private practice. During the second half of my volunteer service I worked in the private clinic “Los cubanos”. My work was very varied. Most of the time I supported the medical staff as far as I could. Sometimes I was even allowed to assist during a wound treatment or I translated for the doctors when a foreign patient came. Having the opportunity to stay in a foreign country for such a long time was great luck for me. Even now I do not have the feeling that I fully understand the Dominican culture but I definitely learned a lot here. Not just about the Dominican Republic, I was also able to improve my Spanish and I gained a few medical experiences. Already these benefits would have made the year unforgettable. But in addition the Dominican Republic offers a beautiful nature. It starts with the view of the Samaná Bay right in front of our apartments. Around the Samaná peninsula are furthermore various paradisiac beaches and at some point it became a luxury problem having to decide to which beach to go on the weekends. All in all I am really happy that I volunteered here and grateful for the opportunity. The advantage of being a volunteer with Aldeas de Paz is that you can profit from numerous contacts which could help you for instance if you want to initiate a new project. Moreover our coordinators in Samaná were always available for our problems and very supportive. And last but not least you can profit from other volunteers! In the last 12 months I met very interesting and friendly people who broadened my horizon and with who I made a few unforgettable experience. And what else could you wish for than an interesting country, beautiful nature and amazing people?
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

I enjoyed this year with Aldeas de paz a lot

I worked in the Casa de los ninos school for one year. Mainly, I assisted Kari , the English teacher of the 5 to 9 year old children. Besides playing games, explaining little grammatic tasks, such as the “s” in the 3rd form Singular or how to form the plural of different words, and be there for questions, one of my main tasks was to create new games and learn material. For me, it was very lovely to see the children play with my games and having fun. Also the working climate was very pleasant and I had a good relation to all the other teachers, who are all very nice and good colleagues. I had the feeling of being able to choose my own focus of what I wanted to do while I was in school, which is another positive aspect about my year in this institution. That way, we could choose what our workshops in the afternoon would look like and which topics we would like to concentrate on. About the Organization Aldeas de Paz, I like that from the very beginning the coordinators were there for us, and we could express any concerns given. Our housing is very enjoyable and I like the fact that our volunteers come from different countries and work, live and enjoy our freetime together. On the other hand I think it would be good if it was a rule to have a certain level of Spanish knowledge. I know that I also came here with a very basic level, but I was very focused on learning the language, and when I reflect that year now, I come to the conclusion that a basic level of Spanish plus the will to learn more should be a precondition to come here, especially when volunteers stay only for a short time. That would lead our work to be serving more for the community then for the personal enjoyment.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A year full of experience

My name is Leonard Bargfeld and I was working in a public clinic, with Aldeas De Paz, for one year. In Las Terrenas I was living in a flat with another volunteer which was perfectly fine for two persons. Even though powerouts appear time by time, welcoming colleagues, dream beaches and perfect weather indemnify such situations. Getting used to the Dominican culture was at first not easy for me. Norms and values are not the same as in western countries, resulting of different circumstances. I had a couple of problems to deal with. However, I learned that a problem is there to be solved. Comparing cultures is not the solution. After some time I realised that no culture is better or worse than another, there is just a difference and if you understand that, it will become easier to deal with all the things you normally could not deal with. I’m grateful that I met so many people from all over the world, which were interested to broaden their horizons, like me. Additionally I gained a lot of experience, which is the most valuable thing to take back home. The project in the UNAP Clinic in Las Terrenas was really interesting, the doctors and nurses were really welcoming, even though we had some communication problems in the beginning. During my year not only my Spanish developed but my knowledge about medicine and the health system too. As you are able to discover the whole country I would recommend a stay of at least two month. The organisation is still developing and tries to implement lots of projects. Everyone is really committed and passionate about their work. I gained a whole variety of experience and I want to give a special thanks to: Vito (coordinator Las Terrenas). He is a hard working coordinator and helps out whenever help is needed. Vito tries to improve the organisation every day. My friends and I had a wonderful time with him and I ́m really grateful that I had this opportunity in my life. Thank you Aldeas De Paz!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

el año más especial de mi vida

September 10, 2018 En mi voluntariado yo trabaje un año en la escuela Mama Elba en Samana Republica Dominicana. Fúe muy lindo a veces difizil y duro pero con el tiempo se aprende mucho sobre los niños, el trabajo con ellos y uno encuentra las soluciones para que todo salga bien. Lo que más me gusto de el trabajo en la escuela fúe el amor de los niños. Ellos son muy dulces con todos los voluntarios y siempre se alegran mucho de vernos y de jugar con nosotros. Eso para mi es lo más valioso de ese trabajo. La organización Aldeas de Paz se ocupa de todos los voluntarios y sus necesidades. Los coordinadores siempre están disponibles si hay algún problema, a cualquier hora uno puede hablar con ellos. Nos ayudan lo mejor que pueden en todo y eso es muy importante para sentirse seguro en un país lejos de la familia y los amigos. Lo especial de la Republica Dominicana para mi es la tranquilidad. Todo se hace sin estrés y la vida es como una vacación. La gente es muy alegre, abierta, cariñosa y uno se siente bienvenido donde va. En todos lados hay musica fuerte, no a todos les gusta pero a mi me encanta. La comida Dominicana me gusta mucho, sobretodo los jugos naturales y las frutas que en alemania no hay. Ver el mar y la playa todos los días para mi es un paraiso. El malecon y los puentes son mis lugares favoritos aquí en Samana. Yo recomiendo hacer un voluntariado con la organización Aldeas de Paz porque ellos se ocupan muy bien de los voluntarios. También todos los voluntarios tienen una linda relación y son muy unidos. Son como una familia, por eso yo lo recomiendo a todos los que quieren vivir un tiempo inolvidable y una experiencia única en este paraiso tropical llamado Republica Dominicana.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

I enjoyed my stay and learned a lot

September 10, 2018 During my volunteer service in the foundation I worked in the Montessori school “Casa de los Niños”. I mainly worked with a group of pupils at the age of 7 to 12 with dyslexia, which later changed to one-on-one work with a student. I created exercises based on my research on the internet and on materials given to me by the director, Susy. Furthermore, I helped the teachers, for example by keeping the children quiet, copying things and helping the students with the tasks. The other teachers and everyone who worked at the school were welcoming and lovely, and were always happy to help if I didn’t understand something, it was a great working environment! In the afternoon I did workshops, sometimes with Linda, other teachers or alone. Over the year I did a Portuguese-, decoration-, Art-, Geography- and German workshop. I created my own exercises for the workshops. Because of the workshops (and also because of my main task) I had a lot of freedom to create something and choose my focus. It was a really great experience and I learned a lot. At the end I assisted Zena and Vito by doing small tasks, I also gave swim lessons alongside three other volunteers. I had many highlights over the year; Mostly, it was a highlight when the students understood something and would do the task on their own. For example: at the beginning of the year, the one student was very slow in reading and would change the letters “a” and “o”, so it wouldn’t make sense what he was reading, but throughout the year he read with more attention and began to read faster. Also, in math there was a progress to be seen. In addition to this, I also saw the progress of our swim students, this made me really proud of them. Another highlight was meeting many different people, mostly short term volunteers from all over the world. Also the coordinators came from different countries and they were friendly and welcoming. I am really glad and thankful that I had these Coordinators (Zena and Vito). Over the year I learned a lot, not only did I gain new experiences, I was also able to learn from the people and their culture. I was also given the opportunity to learn about the gender equality project and assisted during workshops, which were really good and I got to know/ learn about new and useful things about the culture of the Dominican Republic. I think it would be more sustainable for the community/people if the organization would focus more on helping the community with certain projects, the Mama Elba school is a good example but also the gender equality project (in a way the other program are also helping the community). For that it would be better if the volunteer would stay longer than a month and could speak a bit of the language. I think if you are only staying a week or a month you are just getting to know the city you are living in, the culture, the people and the language and then you have to leave! To do more and better help you must stay longer to get accustomed to your surroundings, in this sense I think even one year is not enough to make a large impact! Even though there are these things I criticized, I enjoyed my stay and learned a lot. Thank you
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Think/Act like a Dominican

My name is Ümmühan and I’m 22 years old. I participated in a medical project from the organization Aldeas de Paz in the Dominic Republic. I worked in a clinic, which is called CLINICA ESPECIALIZADA INTERNACIONAL in Las Terrenas for 6 weeks. I’m currently doing an apprenticeship in the 3th semester as a nurse in Germany. I thought it would be difficult to change the way I work in the hospital because of the have different guidelines in both countries. For example: In Germany we have to use disinfection solutions after each contact with patients. But that doesn’t exist in the clinic, so you have to wash your hands with soup after each contact with patients. The nurses showed me everything in the first few days. After that it was easy for me to work, I gave injections, prepared medicine etc. I didn’t only learn the work in the hospital, I learned to think and act like a Dominican. And I liked that. The whole personnel of the clinic were like a family to me. They cared about me every single day. It was a good feeling. I can only recommend being a part of this Project. I got a lot of experience and I improved my Spanish skills as well. These were the goals, that I reached. I want to thank the clinic, Aldeas de Paz, the director and the coordinator, ¡Gracias por todo!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

My amazing adventure in Las Terrenas

My name is Caroline Neite. I worked with the organization Aldeas de Paz in Las Terrenas for six weeks. I worked there as a volunteer in a private hospital because I participated in a medical project. In Germany I am currently doing an apprenticeship as a nurse, so I can to study medicine afterward, therefore I saw the project as a great opportunity to improve my medical knowledge and to get more working experience in the professional field. What I can say after six weeks in the hospital is that I really learned and saw more things, which I did not learn or see in Germany before. It started with measuring blood pressure and later I was allowed to give intramuscular and intravenous injections. In addition to that I could assist in small operations, most of the time caused by accidents with “motoconchos“. When I had questions the Doctors and nurses always helped me a lot. That’s the reason why I have learned so many things about the effects from medicine and of course I could improve my Spanish a lot in speaking with the staff. My highlights definitely were to see bigger operations like a c- sektion or an ablation from an uterus. Of course the standards are a little bit different in comparison to Germany but the clinic is very modern and the methods they are using in the hospital are working very well. About the organization I can say, that they always had time to help me when I had something I wanted to speak about. Additionally I really enjoyed the time with the other volunteers and that we all had our apartments in the same house. Every week on Monday we had a group meeting to speak about everything that is going good or bad. I liked that kind of exchange with the group and I would work with the organization again anytime. But not only the people I worked together with are really friendly, also the Dominican people are really openhearted and try to help whenever they can. I am sure that I will come back to Las Terrenas one day. Thanks for the great time!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Samana animal care experience

Thanks to the Fundacion Aldes de Paz for bringing me such an enjoyable, memorable volunteering experience. Working on a farm was definitely one of the best experiences in my life. The Dominican Republic is a very beautiful Caribbean country. It is well known for its blissful beaches. The Foundation is located in Samana, which is wild and verdant, with coves, bays, waterfalls, mountains and awe-inspiring views – there is lots to explore. It is such a pity that local animals are suffering. Because of low education and tradition, people in the DR believe dogs and cats carry diseases. Also, dogs disturb people’s lives such as barking at night or seeking food in trash cans, so there are lots of street dogs in Samana. Julia and Sebastian (two sweet and thoughtful staff members from the foundation) introduced me to a farm owner Kim at the first day I arrived in Samana. Kim is also a defender of animals. She takes in street dogs, takes care of sick and poisoned dogs and also teaches locals how to take care of their animals. There are lots of things I could do on the farm: clean and maintain the farm equipment, provide clean water and feed animals, learn how to observe the health condition of horses, pigs, dog etc. But most of the time I just played with dogs. Giving them attention and making them trust humans is very important. There are 30 young healthy dogs on the farm, one of my jobs is training the dogs with some simple orders, correcting their behaviors for when they get the opportunity to be adopted in a big city. I love animals. And I believe that a sustainable future for the planet can only be achieved if both animals and people are part of the solution. My journey in Samana was short (only 2 weeks), but it was meaningful and helpful. Also, I had a good time with other volunteers who worked on other projects, I enjoyed the local food and the beautiful landscapes. Finally, I want to thank Julia and Sebastian for helping to make my trip safe, comfortable and meaningful.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

I would recommend this volunteer service to everybody who wants to experience an adventure

During my stay in Samaná, I did work in the Mamá Elba school, which is a school for children with special needs. I really liked my work there and for me it was interesting to see how every child acts differently in the same situation. Furthermore, they get to know you with the time and became less shy. The most amazing thing was to see the developments the children made when they suddenly started to count or know new colours. Even though I only stayed for a short time, the children grew close to my heart very quickly and I looked forward to seeing them every day and playing with them. I like the aim of the organization Aldeas de Paz, but sometimes the communication didn‘t work properly and it was a little bit chaotic. But the coordinators are very helpful and there for you at any time and help you with every problem you have. I quickly fell in love with Samaná. It is a nice little city close to the beach. I love the culture of the Dominican Republic – they are always happy, listening to music and ready to dance. The whole mentality is very easygoing without any stress. I would recommend this volunteer service to everybody who wants to experience an adventure, is willing to help people and wants to get to know himself better. In my time here, I learned more about myself and noticed that you don‘t need much to live. Already one little thing can make a big change in your life. All in all, I really loved my work here and would do it again at any time.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Dental Care

My experience in Samana with Aldeas de Paz has definitely exceeded my expectation in a couple of different aspects. First, by working as a dental assistant through the dental care program, I was able to work with a dentist side by side, directly interact with patients, and closely observe the reality of dental care in a developing country. Staffs at the hospital including my dentist were very nice to me which made it easy to adapt and become part of the team. It had been a valuable experience that I wouldn’t be able to experience elsewhere. Next, I got to meet amazing people here – other volunteers. Open-minded people with great hearts come here to volunteer and it was great to spend time with them by working and traveling together, sharing stories and lives. I am blessed to have these friendships. Overall, it was a tremendously enriching experience!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

The other side of paradies

If you think of the Dominican Republic you will think of sun, hot weather, the caribbean and clear blue water. But this island has more to offer than you see as a regular tourist. To get to know the life in the Dominican Republic (DR) and fulfill a clerkship for my university I decided to live and work on the island for roughly a month. In the following I want to describe the experiences I gained. My journey started with the simple idea of going abroad to get to know the daily life in a country very different to my home, Germany. Moreover I wanted to gain experience in my future carrier as a doctor. Therefore I searched the internet and found through studentsgoabroad.com the Aldeas de Paz foundation in Samana, DR. They offered exactly what I was looking for, a voluntary placement in a hospital in Samana with an accommodation among other volunteers in town. Finding the organisation was the hardest part, after that everything went smoothly; filling in applications, booking the flight and packing the suitcases. The Aldeas de Paz foundation gave very detailed information what to bring, especially as a volunteer in a hospital, such as uniform, gloves, etc. and always answered all questions I had concerning my journey. After getting all the necessary vaccinations, I started to freshen up my spanish skills again, which are very helpful for communicating with the patients. The day of departure came faster than expected and I flew to the Dominican Republic. After a short stay at the capital I was already in Samana, got picked up by Manfred, the headcoordinator of the foundation and introduced to the other volunteers I will be living with. Just two days later, after I settled in and bought all necessities, I was already introduced to Dr. Flor, which is the head doctress of the hospital. She gave me a tour of the hospital and showed me where I will work in the next weeks. All in all a very smooth and fast start in my new volunteer work. Working in the DR was a great experience. After getting used to different costums, for example that everybody talks at the same time in a very loud voice, I was able to get to know the doctors very well and became friends with them. The illnesses you see in the DR are different and in most cases more severe than in our western countries, such as infectiouse diseases. Overall working in the DR is very different than working in any western hospital. Even though technology is very advanced in the hospital, doctors rely more on basic observation and palpations skills, which teaches you all the basics, doctors in the western civilization may have forgotten. If you want to take the most out of the hospital experience, it helps if you know some spanish, but moreover you should speak up and say what you want. If you have any concernes ask Dr. Flor or Manfred, both of them are very eager helping you and making the most out of your stay. All in all working in such a hospital is a great experience that broadens your personal as well as medical perspectives on medicine and illnesses enormeously. But the life in the DR is not just work. Weekends are always free to explore the huge variety the island has to offer. Just to mention some peaks: beaches even more picturouse than any textbook can show, mountains with gorgeouse, breathtaking viewpoints and stunning hikes. As well as great waterfalls and canyons which are hikable, or other adventurouse exercices such as scuba diving, paragliding, etc. Everything is possible in the DR and just a couple hours away from where we lived. To make it even better I was able to explore all of that with the other volunteers, new friends I got to know, who make those places even more remarkable than they are. The huge blend of cultures within the volunteering group, as well as the culture of the inhabitants of the DR, makes you broaden your view extremly. I was able to get to know the locals well enough, thus advancing in spanish, and become friends with them as well as having friends now all over the world, through our volunteering group. In summary I want to thank the Aldeas de Paz foundation with all the volunteers and espacielly Manfred and Dr. Flor without whom this project would not be possible. For me it was not just a great experience but I also left parts of me there which makes me sure to say that I will come back again to visit. Thanks Dominican Republic! Patrick
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Trip of a lifetime!

I arrived in Samana on the 16th October 2017. As soon as I got off the bus I was welcomed by my ‘buddy’ (A volunteer who introduces you to Samana for the first few days) and one of the coordinators. This friendly welcome helped me to settle into the Dominican lifestyle which is drastically different from the United Kingdom. I was introduced to the NGO team who I would be working with for the 8 weeks and the other volunteers who were volunteering with the charity. I realised very quickly that the coordinators and volunteers were all extremely passionate about their work as they knew that this was having a direct impact on the children of the special needs school which ADP runs. I was assigned multiple tasks ranging from researching new agencies that promote the charity to translating text into English. This was a great chance to develop my team working skills, time management and skills working independently. I was given the opportunity to teach English to the Dominicans, which I took straight away. This was a great chance to assist with their personal development and wellbeing as it would help them get jobs in the booming tourism sector. I thoroughly enjoyed planning and presenting these lessons and watching their English progress. I was never worried about being bored, there was always work to do and at the weekends we would go to a beach or to a local excursion. These were perfect to conclude a week of volunteering and gave me a chance to see more of the Dominican culture and the countryside. In my 8 weeks here I have had the chance to work with disabled children, learn veterinary skills, teach english, gain experience and help with the management of a small NGO, learnt (somewhat) how to dance the Dominican way, found out how to exit a hammock after multiple failed attempts and met a fantastic group of volunteers who I will be sure to see again sometime in the future. I couldn’t have asked for a better 8 weeks and I will be sure to miss the children, the volunteers, and, of course, the sun.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Starting with the man in the mirror

If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change. When I came here, my focus was on my internship in the NGO program, firstly to fulfill my university requirements, and secondly because I am planning on doing my masters in NGO Management. But of course, how do you manage an NGO if you are not involved in the projects 100%? That’s why I also wanted to take part in the Youth and Community Program. Also, every Wednesday night I taught English for the community here in Samaná, ranging from all ages, which helped me to meet a lot of Dominican people and improve my Spanish. In the mornings I worked on my the laptop, creating ideas for how to improve the concept of Aldeas de Paz and in the afternoon I was part of something wonderful and reminded why I was there through working with the kids of the Mamá Elba School. It was my first time working with kids with special needs, but to be honest, this was one of my best experiences I have ever had so far. I think they even taught me more than I taught them. After the first weeks I realized I want to do something that has an impact on these kids and will help them long term. That was when I decided to start a Crowdfunding Campaign to collect money so the school will be able to pay for diagnosis and therapy for each kid. What I loved was that through having total flexibility and trust from Aldeas de Paz, I had the possibility to decide most things by myself and create this project together with the whole team. I really learned a lot just creating this project and learning by doing. It worked out great, though I have to admit that I had to get used to the Dominican way of working, which sometimes was really annoying and time consuming. I guess everyone who comes here just needs to accept this “tranquilo” attitude, but it can also help to get a little bit calmer and help you to deal with things; sometimes it just does not work out the way you planned it, deal with it! But besides that I love the Dominican Republic. Of course the beaches, sun and nature blow your mind here in Samanà, but I promise these heartwarming people, the music, the dancing, the food (yaroaaa), the colmados and the culture in general will be even more a life-changing experience in an awesome way. I can’t describe how much I am impressed and in love with this country and these people and I guess you just can understand if you are here by yourself and open-minded enough to enjoy and try everything new. So people out there who want to experience a country with a big heart, good food, amazing people and you really want to be part of something beautiful, Aldeas de Paz is perfect.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

I enjoyed every moment of it!

I spent four months volunteering with Aldeas de Paz and I enjoyed every moment of it. Originally I signed up for the NGO management project but then I also joined the youth care & community team which is working in a small school for children with special needs and learning difficulties. I had loads of fun working with the kids in school even though at first I wasn't sure if I would be able to work well with them. After more or less one week all the kids had adjusted to me as a new teacher and started to trust me which really made me more confident. Even after a short time I saw a change in the children's learning progress which was very rewarding. On top of that we do a parents’ reunion with all the teachers and the children's parents once a month, where we exchange our observations and thoughts about the children. This is also a great possibility for the volunteers to hear from the parents directly about the difference we make in their children's lives. One mother told me that for the first time in her life her 27-year-old mentally disabled daughter has had the chance to go to school and learn something. She is now able to read numbers and write some letters, and the girl’s family and their friends had all seen a positive difference in her daughter's social behaviour. This was one of the situations where I realised that we really do have an impact in the kid's life no matter if we work there for only a few weeks or for a few months. Another aspect of Aldeas de Paz that I truly enjoyed was that even though it's a small NGO there were so many international volunteers who I got to meet and who I became friends with. I had loads of fun with them in the evenings and on weekend trips that we did regularly. I believe that in those four months I lived in Samana I made friends with not only volunteers from all over the world but also local Dominicans who I'll hopefully stay friends with for a long time.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

My experiences at Aldeas de Paz in the Dominican Republic

I worked for 2 and a half Months in the NGO Management in Las Terrenas. I had a lot of different tasks during my stay. For example, Managing the publishing of Job offers on Listing Websites or translating texts for the Website and many many more smaller tasks. My highlight was a trip of all Volunteers to a rented Villa with a perfect view and nice atmosphere. But it was just one of many beautiful trips we did together. Aldeas de Paz is a very familial organization. It´s not too big and you get to know every coordinator on site. The coordinators are really kind and take care about every need the volunteers have. The Dominican Republic is obviously a very hot place and you need to get used to the climate for the first days. The most dominican People i met were really friendly and always open for a conversation. I was really wondered about the loud music, which is played at every corner every time. Sometimes it can get annoying but most of the time it´s very enjoyable. I can really recommend you to travel to Aldeas de Paz in the Dominican Republic, because you will make a lot of experiences for your future. It is also a good way to get out of your „normal“ life and get to know a different culture.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

My heart is in Samaná

I loved my time in Samana with Aldeas de Paz. To start, during my stay here I had the chance to work with the kids with special needs in school. I enrolled in that particular project because I wanted to gain experience in my feild of studies. I really enjoyed working with everyone in the school, but mostly the kids who great you everyday you arrive in school and are all just very adorable. I had the opportunity to work with a variety of children with disabilities, which is what I was mainly here for. Also, changes and improvements are being done in the school which I think will greatly benefit the kids attending. Finally, I was able to contribute to the school with a project involving pictograms that will greatly help these children, more so the ones that have language disabilities. In addition, I had the chance to be in contact with Kim an amazing Canadian that has been living here for over 30 years and is taking the rights of animals here to heart. I had a chance to work hands on with the animals, mostly dogs, and actually had the opportunity to start a totally new project in association with Aldeas the Paz. I really appreciated the encouragement and interest expressed by the coordinators and volunteers. I am very proud of my contribution and participation, which turned out to be more than expected. Aldeas de Paz is the only organisation that I saw that had a good variety of projects to work on, which provides a lot of flexibility. I was able to participate in a lot of different acitives and programs such as the english classes and café intercultural. For a month was able to give intermediate english classes to dominicans, as well as dancing classes in the café. The responsibles really encourage us to participate in a variety of projects and the options are really there for us to explore. The organisation has a really great team of coordinators that work really hard to make our experience here the best it can be, even if there job is not always easy. It was my second time in the Dominican Republic and more specifically Samana. I really wanted to come back here because the first time I really fell in love with the spirit of the people, the culture, the dancing, the music, the scenery and saw that there was a need for volunteers. I wanted to make sure for my second experience that I was to be part of the community, the people and meet different Dominicans. I have so many good memories with the volunteers and dominican friends I made. I found it very important to have an interest for the people here and an open mind. By doing so, I was able to know, see places and live experiences I would of never had if it were not for my dominican friends. Also, when spending time with them it was the perfect occasion to pratice and learn more spanish, which was one of my goals when coming here. We did so many great trips and activies that really made my time here that much memorable. I can say that I fully experienced Samana and the DR and would do it again without a doubt.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Wonderful experience

I am not the average volunteer for Aldeas de Paz because I came to Samaná with my husband and two children (ages 8 and 10). I am a nursing student and ADP was one of the few organizations I could find through which I was able to volunteer in a hospital without already being a fully trained medical professional. During our 2.5-month stay, my husband worked at his regular job (online from our apartment). Our kids had a local Dominican nanny in the mornings and I home-schooled them in the afternoons. Overall, we enjoyed our time in Samaná immensely! We loved exploring the town and surrounding attractions, eating Dominican food, meeting the friendly local people, and improving our Spanish. Manfred and Julia were very responsive and helpful with any issues we had--whether small (the electricity was out) or large (a brief hospital stay for my husband due to Dengue Fever.) I highly recommend ADP! It turned out to be a fun, safe place for our family to be immersed in a different culture while I was able to volunteer and gain valuable experience in the medical field.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

My experience in Samaná has been a great one!

My experience in Samaná has been a great one! I feel like I’ve had some highs and lows, making it a great learning experience in a short amount time. First off, it doesn’t get any more beautiful than the view. The first few days were overwhelming meeting all the other volunteers and kids at school, while not yet knowing where to find anything in town. Being in an apartment definitely comes with its pros and cons as well. I didn’t like that the majority of other people were in the shared apartments and particularly at night couldn’t safely get to hang out with them. This has gotten better making plans in advance to have a travel buddy. I love how welcoming everyone is and no one is shut off or out of any group or activity. Once I knew people had been here for months, I feared it would be hard to make connections quickly when so many friendships have already been established. I was happy to find that is not the case at all and everyone is always included. Having basically no prior Spanish knowledge, I feel like this has made a unique experience. It has been difficult communicating with Dominicans, especially at school. However, it also has been cool to overcome that barrier. I’ve had to quickly learn some key phrases and feel like I can successfully order food. Kids have been patient and we have tried to teach each other Spanish/English words. No matter where you are, kids are the same and have a great spirit about them. They have been fun to play and learn with. With the scheduling changes and addition of Jessica, it is a cool time to see the transition and growth in ADP. I’m excited to see the progress even once I leave! I am looking forward to comforts of home (water not turning off, air conditioning, not loud to sleep), but the atmosphere and people make this a special place that I hope to return to.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Such a good time

I had such a good time here in the Dominican Republic. Mainly due to the many nice people I met and friends I made during my time with Aldeas de Paz. They all amazed me by their incredible heartwarming attitude. My workplace at the hospital was really interesting because I had the opportunity to work with HIV patients and experience the medical system of a developing country. The only disadvantage was the fact that there was sometimes not enough work for me and my coworker because we did not have any qualifications a nurse or a doctor would have had. However, the people we worked with were very supportive and willing to get in touch with us and because of that I made some good friends in the hospital. I also enjoyed the free time activities we did together. There are so many things to do, especially going to the beaches and the bars! A huge thank you to the Foundation which gave me the opportunity to be part of a great team and also to my coordinators who treated us like friends and supported us during tough times.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

When I get time, I will come back for sure.

My name is Fabienne and I worked as a volunteer in the Mama Elba School for one month. I really enjoyed the work with the children and I was able to gain a lot of useful experience for my future. When I arrived here I couldn’t speak Spanish. First, I was a bit worried about that. But over time I learned the important things in Spanish because of the free Spanish lessons and the work with the children. During the time here in Samana, I was living in a guesthouse apartment with two other volunteers. I was really happy with this kind of living, because I like to have people around me. Furthermore, the organisation of my stay here was well planned. This included also the pick-up service, which worked very well. All in all, I enjoyed the time here in Samana with the organisation Aldeas de Paz. When I get time, I will come back for sure.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

An eye-opening experience!

"Going to a new country as a volunteer is an eye-opening experience, both personally and culturally. Furthermore, it allowed me to reinforce my desire to apply my skills and knowledge to help others. The accommodation and guidance from Julia and Manfred made the trip really comfortable. I have learned a lot from Manfred, he has great ambitions for the organisation. Aldeas de Paz is having a real positive impact in the local community and it is rewarding to know that you have contributed somehow. I met so many amazing people and had so many intense experiences along the way, working with the children from Mama Elba school remains the most wonderful experience of all. I have truly enjoyed my time with Aldeas de Paz and would definitely recommend the NGO to anyone. Thanks again for everything and I will be back again some day!!"
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

There is a lot to tell!

I don't know how to start my experience report in Samana, because there is a lot to tell. I may start with my arrival seven weeks ago. It was my first journey alone for such a long time, far away from family, friends and my home. On the way to Samana, i had some worries about the time here, but the flew away when my likeable mom came to fetch me on the busstation. We went home and they all welcomed me with balloons and flowers. Then I met the other volunteers and we made friends immediately. After my first week I was beat-up, because of the heat and the work. My task at work was to teach the children in a special school. The most of them have difficult to concentrate or are disabled in a mentally or physically way. The kids demanded so much from you during the class, but after seven weeks I assert that some of the kids made an effort. This is so lovely that you can see that you reached somethig, that you were able to change something during the short time. And not only that kids were grateful to attend the class but also their parents, we especially the volunteers got a good feedback, which also made me proud. My second workplace was in the hospital, where I teach the doctors English. Sometimes it was hard, because they were not on the same level, but anyway it worked! All of the doctors are strained to learn something and I noticed an effort, too! On the weekend was time to relax and to travel, which was maybe the best part here. My highlight here was Jarabacoa, it's a town in the mountain (actually at the height of 2000 ft.), we stayed in a such a beautiful hostel, went paragliding and horse riding!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Meine Arbeit machte sehr viel Spass!

An der Busstation in Samaná angekommen, wurde ich herzlich empfangen und mir wurde gleich die Stadt gezeigt. Diese ist sehr belebt, hat viel Verkehr und die meisten Menschen fahren mit Mopeds umher. Aus allen Ecken ist dominikanische Musik zu hören und überall gibt es etwas zu essen zu kaufen. Samaná ist eine sehr schöne Stadt mit äußerst netten und friedlichen Bewohnern, in der ich mich sehr sicher fühle. Ich bin für den Bereich Multimedia zuständig. Die anderen Freiwilligen arbeiten im Krankenhaus, im NGO Management, im Bereich Youthcare. Da wir alle in so unterschiedlichen Bereichen tätig sind, ist es sehr interessant, sich mit den anderen auszutauschen. Noch dazu kommt jeder Freiwiliige aus einem anderen Land, wodurch uns auch ein kultureller Austausch untereinander ermöglicht wird. Die Arbeitszeit wird hier sehr flexibel gehandhabt, ich habe mich hier aber dem Zeitplan der anderen Freiwilligen angepasst, die von 9 Uhr bis 12 Uhr und nach der Mittagspause nochmals von 14 Uhr bis 17:30 Uhrarbeiten. Meine Arbeit hier ist sehr vielfältig und ich habe die Möglichkeit, mich individuell auf die Dinge zu konzentrieren, die mich interessieren. Ich muss aber auf jeden Fall sehr viel Eigeninitiative mitbringen, denn es wird mir kein Plan vorgegeben, was ich zu tun habe. Zusätzlich zu meinem eigentlichen Projekt arbeite ich zwei Tage pro Woche in der Sonderschule von Aldeas de Paz, dem Herzstück der Organisation. Die Schule ist dienstags, mittwochs und donnerstags jeweils von 14 Uhr bis 17 Uhr geöffnet. Hier werden etwa 12 Kinder unterschiedlichen Alters mit Behinderungen, die nicht einmal diagnostiziert wurden, von zwei Lehrerinnen unterrichtet. Schon während meines ersten Besuch dort, fiel mir auf, wie viel hier verbessert werden kann. Wir bekommen sechs Stunden pro Woche kostenlosen Spanisch Unterricht. Da ich keine Vorkenntnisse hatte, war es für mich zu Beginn sehr schwer, mit anderen zu kommunizieren. Der Spanisch Unterricht hat mir dabei sehr geholfen, sodass ich mittlerweile einiges auf Spanisch verstehe und auch besser mit den Kindern arbeiten kann. Von der Organisation vor Ort wurde ich sehr gut betreut. Es war rund um die Uhr jemand erreichbar und egal welches Problem auftrat, ich wurde stets unterstützt. Ingesamt kann ich sagen, dass ich durch dieses Projekt viele neue Eindrücke gewonnen habe, viel erlebt habe und eine wundervolle Zeit in Santa Bárbara de Samaná hatte!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Trip of my life!

First off, I officially decided to take the leap and register for the NGO Management Program about 1 month before I was due to leave. The registration process and introductory things were super easy and helpful. The director of Aldeas de Paz was patient and excellent with getting back to me quickly with answers to my many questions. Once in country, I met with the local team and all the volunteer and I have to say, they are an incredible group of people who truly want to make a difference and help make my experience there a great one. I really enjoy the time I spend in Las Terrenas and one day I'd love to return to help out again. The town of Las Terrenas is absolutely amazing. It's beauty and charm will grab you, and hold a little piece of your heart. There is much to do and see in and around the town. So many shops, markets, restaurants, and beaches to see. Honestly, I could just sit on the beach and look at the waves all day. One piece of advice I would give would be to just jump in. Ask what the need is, meet it. You're only there for a short time, so make the best of it. Jump in with the culture. The food. The town. The way of life. The pace. The language. Try everything. Go in the shops. Take a trip. Jump in with both feet. You won't regret it.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us »

Subscribe to the Newsletter