Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

Medical Volunteer at St. Elizabeth Hospital, Arusha, Tanzania - with Rafiki Volunteers

Jambo! I am a 24-year-old medical student on 8. semester from Denmark. Program: I was volunteering in Tanzania for nearly 4 months back in 2009-2010, mainly teaching and other cool stuff. When I decided to go back to this wonderful country in 2014 as a medical student for 2 months, I was hoping to find a volunteering organization, that could find me the right placement for my educational level and experience. I heard from some friends in Denmark that some of our mutual friends in Arusha had started something called Rafiki Volunteers. I already knew these great people, but I was positively surprised that they managed to arrange the perfect placement for me, because in some organizations some volunteers unfortunately feel misplaced. For that I am grateful to Rafiki's. From the moment I was picked up at the airport, everything was planned. After a day of introduction to the program, the city and the people I was going to be with during my stay, i started work on the second day. Besides my work, Rafiki Volunteers planned a bunch of cultural trips and crazy fun night-outs, which i enjoyed a lot! My friends at Rafiki Volunteers was always ready to help me with anything at anytime. The Hospital: My work at St. Elizabeth Hospital has been a great experience for me, that I will never forget. The doctors, nurses and other staff, was very welcoming and kind. They all spoke english and all the charts were in english too. Of course they were busy too, which meant that I did not have people holding my hand and guiding me throughout my stay. I was free to decide which wards to be in, and what I wanted to be a part of. I spent my first two weeks starting with morning conference with all staff and doing rounds with doctors and nurses at medical ward to learn about the diseases and their treatments, that commonly presents themselves in sub-saharan countries. After rounds I helped out at the prenatal clinic with vaccinations etc. The next weeks I worked at surgical ward, attending/assisting surgeries, doing rounds, and sometimes I helped out in the maternity ward afterwards. My day could consist of folding gauze for an hour and chatting with the staff or filling out discharge papers to suddenly be in charge of small surgical procedures, like draining abscesses or small debridements. There really is not that many limits to what you can do and learn, and there is plenty of opportunities to engage in social activities after work with the staff too, which is fun! If I could make any changes I would make sure to know a bit more about diseases such as HIV, malaria, TB etc. and their treatments/monitoring. Especially because of the doctor in charge, who also happened to be a professor, killed me with questions on every rounds :). The more you are prepared the more exciting it gets and what you learn sticks forever! Otherwise you end up spending a lot of time catching up. Besides that, I would not change a thing! There is no way I can describe what I went through those 2 months, but basically I got to learn and do so many things, that is golden experience for my future as a doctor, and I had fun too! Accomidation: I was staying at the lovely volunteer house with other volunteers right amongst the locals. Great place! Had a great room and bed, but most importantly we had a Mama (the nice lady or angel that cooks and cleans and washes our clothes and always smiles) that made insanely good traditional food. She was so great! I loved the way she lured me out of bed every morning simply by cooking breakfast that smelled amazing and by spreading positive vibes and smiles. Coming home tired, dirty and hungry from work, there she was again with a nice home cooked meal and with our clothes and bed all clean and made up. And she was fun to hang out with as well. All this meant that I could focus on doing my job better. Tanzania in general is a beautiful country, with lots of amazing places to visit, and with very welcoming and warm people! People do not have much, but a lot of them are willing to share everything they got, which is a quality i miss in my people in my country.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us ยป

Subscribe to the Newsletter