Our Reviews

Participant Reviews

Colegio Honofre Benavides Tomepampa

Making the decision to volunteer in Tomepampa was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I was really nervous at first, as the location was quite remote and I wasn't sure my level of Spanish was quite ready for it. However, I shouldn't have been worried. The rural location of Tomepampa is precisely what gives it it's beauty and charm; you can't help but feel happy and peaceful when you are surrounded by such amazing scenery! The locals welcomed us warmly from day 1, frequently checking on us to make sure we were OK, and telling us all about the area. I found the project challenging, as keeping the attention of many excited Peruvian children a challenge, but their hearts are big and welcoming, so you can't help but love them. My Spanish improved an incredible amount t over this time, and the snapshot of their lives that I experienced gave me a taste of what life for these people is really like. I strongly encourage you to consider volunteering in Tomepampa, not just to see the sights or improve your language, but because doing so will completely immerse you in Peru and you will feel completely at home in this beautiful country.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Colegio Honofre Benavides - Tomepampa

So, working at Honofre Benavides School in Tomepampa was perhaps one of the coolest experiences of my life! This primary and secondary-level school is located in the Cotahuasi Canyon in southern Peru - a very remote portion of the country with breathtaking views at literally every turn. The spectacular hikes alone are worth the the time and energy that you'll put into this project (just see the pictures below). And be sure to have Volunteers Peru lay out the best spots for you to visit while you're there - they've seen all the best vistas! However, the greatest part of this experience for me was becoming part of the tiny community of Tomepampa. I never was able to find an official record of its population, but if I had to guess, I'd say there are probably less than 200 people living there - 200 of the friendliest, warmest people may ever meet. Whether passing down the block to the store or hopping a local bus to the hot springs, you're likely to be met with a smile and a ''Buen dia! Como estas?'' Many will proceed to ask you if their town is to your liking, and you may even find yourself invited to an upcoming festival (they celebrate a lot)! The students you teach at Honofre Benavides school will chat you up about what it's like to live in your country and will marvel at any pictures of your homeland that you're willing to share. They may even venture to speak English with you outside of school, which is the coolest thing ever! Living with Carmela and her kids at Casa Primavera and eating her stellar traditional cuisine is an added bonus. Her young sons, Miguel and Hector love to play and ask you all sorts of questions, so be sure to spend lots of time with them! They will love it, and it'll be time well spent, as there really isn't much to do on quiet nights in the canyon. This opportunity is really an incredible means to disconnect and get back to the basics of life - making meaningful connections with the people around you, learning from them and sharing your wisdom in return (in this case, the beauty of the English language)!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

A great volunteering experience!

I spent 4 unforgettable weeks working for Volunteers Peru at the Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte Girls' Home. The Casa Hogar is a great institution giving home to girls aged from 3 to 17. As a volunteer you will mainly work in the afternoons and thus, spend more time with the younger girls as the older ones have classes until the late afternoon or early evening. The girls are welcoming you in a lovely way, taking you by the hand the moment you arrive at the Casa Hogar and asking you to play with them. This gives you an easy start and is a great experience especially if you are planning to only stay for some weeks and not several months. During holidays we played a lot with the girls and often brought some nice games or puzzles from our office. Eva as the current project manager of Volunteers Peru is very helpful and whenever you have a good idea of what could be done with or for the girls she is more than willing to help you with the realization. I also really enjoyed living in Arequipa and you can use the mornings and weekends to explore the beautiful city or go on trips. Working for Volunteers Peru means to be part of a great team and spending time with other motivated volunteers at the project. I highly appreciated the great preparation I got before I came to Peru by receiving a pre-departure guide and being able to ask Eva as many questions as I had. I can only recommend Volunteers Peru as a great NGO and the Casa Hogar as a valuable project that is more than worth to spend your time with.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Unforgettable experience volunteering

I spent two months in Tomepampa with Volunteers Peru last year and two weeks at their other project in Arequipa. Those two months in Tomepampa were amazing. Not only was working with children in primary and secondary schools a fun and rewarding experience but being able to live in the Cotahuasi Canyon without internet surrounded by another culture and a beautiful landscape (and lots of hiking) was an unforgettable experience. I helped teach ESL to students in primary school, assisted primary school teachers in the classroom as well as the English teacher in secondary school. One of the things I enjoyed most about my time in Tomepampa was how welcoming the local community was... The teachers and other school staff, the local store owners, Carmela and her children (who live in the Primavera hotel volunteers stay at) and other local townspeople were always trying to keep volunteers in the loop about what was going on in and around Tomepampa. The towns all have their own traditions and festivals and if you volunteer in Tomepampa you're bound to get to see at least one festival. The Cotahuasi Canyon doesn't have as much tourism as some of the other canyons in Peru like the Colca Canyon and that makes volunteering in Tomepampa a very cultural and unique experience. When it comes to working in Colegio Honofre Benavides the English teacher most volunteers work with in the secondary school is very nice and having a volunteer at the school to help her with her lessons helps improve the quality of the English teaching these students receive. Being 11 hours outside of Arequipa, Tomepampa is a rural town in Peru and does not see as many resources as other schools that aren't so isolated may see. As a volunteer you can work alongside Roxanna, the English teacher,and in primary school teaching English/assisting in the classroom. I have also heard of other volunteers helping out in science and math classes in secondary school so your options are endless with this volunteer project. You get what you put into it. If you want to experience another culture, practice your Spanish, help others, see incredible views on your hikes throughout the Andes on your days off, work in a school in rural Peru, this project is for you. If you are interested in the project and would like to speak with me feel free to ask Volunteers Peru for my email. -Erika
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Casa Hogar Torre Fuerte - Arequipa

Having spent 7 months working for Volunteers Peru with the girls at the Torre Fuerte Home, it seems almost impossible to describe how incredible of an experience this really was for me. There were many days filled with jokes, laughter, piggy-back rides, games in the courtyard, turns on the swings, homework happily completed and chores willingly done. But there were also times of great challenge. And I think that might be the most important thing for any potential volunteer to know - that because these precious little ladies have come from such tumultuous situations in life, there are bound to be moments and even entire days in which they will test the very fiber of your being with their sometimes unpredictable behavior. But the days and the moments in which you can share a laugh, a smile, a victory, big or small, a hug, a high five, a sweet story or even a cuddle will be much more frequent, and will instantly turn your heart to mush. From the moment you walk through the door and they call you hermana to the moment they beg you not to go, and demand to know when you will be back, you will likely find yourself as smitten as I was. Devote at least 4 weeks, if you can. Give yourself a chance to really get to know these girls and ample opportunity to love on them. It's a decision you will not regret and you may find yourself a bit different of a person when you leave. :)
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Volunteers Peru - Casa Hogar

Volunteers Peru is an excellent organization based in Arequipa. I spent 3 weeks volunteering at the Casa Hogar home for girls every afternoon, helping the girls with their homework, and just spending time with them.The entire atmosphere was very friendly and relaxed, with the needs of the girls as the primary focus. The girls were all super sweet, and loved having us come and visit. The other volunteers were also lovely, and it was really fun going for meals together after our afternoons with the girls. If you are looking to volunteer with children in Arequipa, I would 100% recommend getting in contact with Volunteers Peru.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Experience of a lifetime

I've spent 9 months traveling in South America and had the most amazing experiences but my month here tops them all. Cotahuasi is the deepest canyon in the world, a wonderful fertile valley deep in the Andes. The children are a delight, with no internet and not much television, they are full of energy and enthusiasm. The children are so active, playing football, volleyball or just running around with a wonderful joie de vivre that you rarely see in more "sophisticated" societies. I was there for the last day of term before Christmas and my favorite boys who also happened to be the cheekiest, were given the job of cleaning the desks. They carried them out onto the yard, and one of them hosed the desks, his schoolmates and nearly me too, but in such a goodnatured way that we were all just laughing. Every weekend we took a local bus high into the isolated communities and trekked in the most breathtaking scenery. The locals are mostly Indian and speak Quechua and wear colorful traditional costumes. There's nothing I wish I'd known beforehand, and the only suggestion I'd make about improving the program, would be closer liaison with the people who ran the hostel where the pupils from the outlying area stayed during the week.. They weren't always that keen to do extra classes, so we had to locate them then find something really fun to do, which usually involved a certain amount of running and being competitive! I would say the thing that affected me most was the life affirming attitude of these children.
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety

Volunteers Peru

Volunteers Peru is such a wonderful organization to be a part of. During my short 2 weeks as a volunteer, I stayed in the Honey House (where most volunteers stay), which is a quiet hostel in a great location to catch a ride to the girls' home or to explore central Arequipa. We visited the girls' home daily during the week; our main activities included helping with school work, coming up with crafts and games to do with the girls, and assisting the girls with their assigned chores if needed. The girls are so sweet, and I always felt welcomed in their home. I was only at a conversational level of Spanish (not fluent), and I had no problem communicating with the girls; even if you are just beginning to learn Spanish, the girls are so patient and will no doubt try to help you if they notice you struggling. I am grateful to have been a part of this growing project, welcomed by program directors who are truly dedicated to the mission and who work to form a close-knit community with volunteers/supporters and the girls at Torre Fuerte. I would highly recommend reaching out to Volunteers Peru if you are interested in volunteering abroad or even just curious about their project!
Overall rating 
Experience
Program Administration
Living Conditions
Cultural Immersion
Social Life
Health and Safety
Unable to load tooltip content.

About HelpGoAbroad

We showcase the best programs, countries and institutions in the world, so whether you are interested in interning abroad, studying abroad, working abroad or simply traveling or living abroad, we have your back.

More about us ยป

Subscribe to the Newsletter